Catfish Goujons


It's Friday and I was planning on making fish for dinner.  No - I'm not Catholic (I am a good Episcopalian), but it's nice for a change and good for you not to eat meat at least once a week. I know my girls like fish and thankfully don't turn their noses up when presented with a whole trout, with head on and staring eyes!  I can't understand why folks think it's so difficult to cook fish, I actually think it's easier than meat. Standing at the fish counter at my local supermarket and choosing trout or catfish, I have often been asked by fellow customers how I plan on cooking it.  

I had bought some catfish because I love the firmness of the flesh, it doesn't fall apart like more of the delicate fish and I decided to make "Goujons".  I think Goujons is an English term, because they were all the rage when I was working as a Chef in the 80's.  Sole was usually the fish of choice and I was often asked to make them as an appetizer with a tartare sauce dip.  In America, I guess we should call them fish strips, but Goujons sounds much classier!

So, instead of making chicken strips for dinner, why not try the fish version for a change.  I know that frying is not the healthiest option, but I shallow fried mine using the minimum of oil.  They might seem like a lot of work, but believe me they taste infinitely better than the frozen versions - much less coating and real fish, not minced.  They could be oven baked I suppose, but they just won't be as crunchy and delicious.  Hmmm, they were incredible, crisp on the outside and moist and tender on the inside!  Hope you try them....

Catfish Goujons (Serves 2)
Ingredients:
1 large fillet catfish or other filleted and skinned fish
1 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup breadcrumbs, fresh or panko
salt and pepper

2 cups (approx) canola or vegetable oil - for frying

Directions:
  • Cut the fish into 1/2 inch strips.  Set aside.
  • In 3 bowls, place flour with salt and pepper in one bowl.  Egg beaten with milk in another and breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
  • Start the process by dredging the fish strips in the flour one or two at time, making sure they are evenly coated. 
  • Next, dip them in the beaten egg and then transfer to the breadcrumbs, pressing the fish gently into the crumbs to ensure complete coverage.  Place on a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining fish.
  • Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet on medium, should be about 1 or 2 inches.  Test the temperature of the oil with a small piece of bread, it should start browning in a few seconds.
  • With another plate ready with paper towel for draining the cooked fish, carefully begin placing 4 or 5 strips (depending on size of your pan) into the oil.  Do not over crowd or the temperature of the oil will drop too much and the fish will not not brown.
  •  Using tongs, turn the strips when you see the undersides becoming golden brown.
  • Adjust the heat accordingly - if the fish is browning too quickly, then turn down the heat, so the fish is fully cooked inside.  Turn the heat up if the fish isn't browning or the oil isn't bubbling like the picture above.
  • When the strips are brown on both sides, remove to the paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Break open a strip to test for doneness.
  • Sprinkle with a little salt if desired and serve immediately.  Chips or french fries, tartare sauce, ketchup, lemon or malt vinegar are all acceptable accompaniments.  Enjoy!

Comments