Chinese Chicken Ginger Soup


At last we've arrived at the recipe for "Shoon" soup, the name we've always called it. It's essential that you visit the Chinese supermarket before you even think about starting this soup, only the real stuff is allowed - no imitations or substitutions! I have posted photographs of the packaging incase you have trouble finding them.

This soup usually has chicken and you can use whatever you have available, my recipe uses 2 skinless breasts, but I been known to use 2 thighs and a wing when I was desperate. My mom sometimes cooked a whole bird and this obviously made a richer, more delicious broth. I remember that when it was cooked, my dad would remove it from the pot, cut it up and quickly stir-fry it in a combination of chopped garlic (lots of it - maybe a 10 cloves?), soy sauce and green onions. They served the soup with steamed rice and this garlic chicken. Hmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Maybe this is why I get homesick when thinking about this soup.

There are, of course family variations of this soup - my cousin in Canada tells me: "The soup you described, we call "funcee soup". We do also make a similar soup with just ginger and chicken with brandy added at the end. This was Peter's favourite when he was growing up. Mum used to say that this was a medicinal soup, given to women after they had given birth to help them get their strength back."

Lucy and her sisters grew up with this soup, I only make it maybe once a month, and they would always groan - especially when they had friends or boyfriends over. I guess it does look really wierd, but when the friends went home, they would end up slurping its delicious goodness and asking for more....

Chinese Chicken Ginger Soup(Serves 4 - 6)
Ingredients:8 cups water or chicken broth
2 skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
2 inches fresh ginger, sliced (I don't bother peeling it)
6 - 8 dried shitake mushrooms
5 sticks dried bean curd
1/2 small green cabbage (cut into 4 wedges)
2 teaspoons chicken boullion (if using water)
Black pepper

2 small bundles rice vermicelli, reconstituted in boiling water and drained (about 2 cups)
Soy sauce (low sodium) to serve

Ingredients for soup
Dried Bean Curd Sticks
Dried Shitake Mushrooms
Dried Rice Vermicelli
Directions:
  • In a large pot with lid, place the cold water, chicken, onion and ginger.
  • Bring to the boil and add the dried bean curd, snapped into 3 inch pieces, and shitake mushrooms. (The mushrooms do not need to be soaked beforehand.)
  • Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for approx. 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the mushrooms are tender.
  • Increase heat to medium high and add the cabbage - cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes or until tender.
  • Season the broth with chicken bouillion if necessary and freshly ground black pepper.
  • Serve the soup with the rice noodles ontop and a splash of soy sauce.
  • Enjoy!

Comments

Lucy said…
Wow mom. you are on a roll with this website. I love it! That bread and Shun looks so good. Maybe I'll make it this weekend!

Would my roommates think i was weird?