Quinoa and Salmon Cakes

Yes, I admit it! I'm addicted to wheat! Anyone can see from my blog that I love bread and anything baked, so for me to give up wheat is going to be a major challenge. Reason for this rash decision is: a serious sinus infection that's been going on for a month now and I'm ready to do anything to help get rid of it. Could it be a wheat allergy? Only one way to find out! So, for the next couple of weeks I will be posting some wheat free recipes (not gluten free) on this blog, I hope you decide to try them.

Yesterday I didn't feel well enough to go to the grocery store but luckily I found a can of salmon in my pantry. My favorite recipe for canned salmon is my mother's for Salmon and rice, but I wanted to try something different. Salmon cakes are usually prepared with breadcrumbs as a filler, so I decided to use wheat free quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) instead. This whole grain seed can be cooked and eaten like rice and it's a great source of protein.


Canned pink or red salmon is a good staple to keep in your pantry. Never waste your time removing the bones, they are soft enough to eat and are a good source of calcium.

Ingredients:

1 can salmon (pink or red), drained

1/2 cup dry quinoa

1 cup zucchini, grated and squeezed dry

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1 egg, beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

Canola oil for frying

Directions:

Add the quinoa to 1 cup boiling water in a small saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low, cook for approx. 15 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool down.

In a large bowl, mash the canned salmon roughly.

Add the remaining ingredients, adding enough egg to bind the mixture together.

Divide the mixture into 4 patties or cakes. If possible, allow to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Heat some canola oil in a skillet and fry the cakes on both sides until golden brown.

 

Comments